Monday, March 31, 2014

Arts Advocacy Day 2014

Last week I attended Arts Advocacy Day, hosted by Americans for the Arts (AftA), in DC. The event was a two-day trip and I went with my grad program.

The first day was essentially a training day and instructions on what to say on the Hill when we met with senators and congresspeople. It was an all-day event that had tables divided by state (I represented my home state of Ohio) with break out sessions and how-tos. It was an awesome opportunity to represent my home district and hang out with other people from my state for a day. All in all, it was an incredibly long day and everyone in my group was struggling to make it through.




During the first night, everyone was invited to the Nancy Hanks Lecture at the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. It was live streamed and featured performers and an intro speech by Alec Baldwin and the keynote lecture by Maureen Dowd. The speeches to me weren't as impressive as the building, but it was nice to be at the Kennedy Center for the first time and experience that part of DC.


My favorite part of the trip was the second day when we went on the Hill. Even though the weather was terrible, I'm from the Midwest, and I can definitely handle a little snow. We were advocating to not cut the National Endowment for the Arts budget and increased funding for arts education. We told the senators and congress our personal arts stories and did our best to make an impact on them.


Here's a peak at one of the congressional buildings. They all looked the same, but it was so exciting to be there nonetheless!

That's all for now,

Sarah

3 comments:

MITCH said...

the event looks so much fun!

xx,
felishmichelle.blogspot.com

Cat Lowther said...

Wow I can't believe I am unaware of this. I'll definitely try to attend this next year. Art education is so important in schools.
xx

Anna Belle said...

What a great trip! I wish I had been close enough to DC while in grad school for events like this.

I just emailed my congresspeople about funding for the NEH (My field benefits from both NEA and NEH funding.) You can email them here (the website will figure out who based on your email and you can use the form email to be done in less than 3 minutes!)