Wednesday, April 2, 2014

National Gallery of Art

I really like going to art museums. Really. And I also love sharing my visits with you all on A Rose in the City. So, here's another installment in my museum series for the National Gallery of Art (NGA) in Washington, DC. I was able to visit the museum when I visited the city for Arts Advocacy Day and I couldn't resist the opportunity to visit the museum I hadn't seen since I visited sophomore year over spring break.


On the left is the entrance hall, a large rotunda with a sculpture-fountain in the middle of Mercury. It's a wonderful meeting spot and people are constantly taking pictures in the space. On the right is David's The Emperor Napoleon in His Study at the Tuileries from 1812. Arguably one of David's most famous portraits, I think it really captures Napoleon and what we think about him. Now, David was my honorable mention on my post about my favorite artists, so I'm always excited to see another painting of his in real life.


On the left is Ingre's Madame Moitessier (1851), who to me looks like she could be cast as a perfect Carmen. Something about the subject is just spot-on. Across the hall is Mary Cassatt's The Boating Party (1893-4), one of the artist's most famous works. I always really enjoy Cassatt's subject matter (as a woman, she was only allowed to paint other women), and she does something great with it.


The Renior, The Dancer from 1874 was a piece I loved so much in high school (when I first visited the museum) that I bought a reproduction and it's currently hanging in my room back home. Dedication. On a similar strain, Monet's The Houses of Parliament, Sunset (1903) is such an iconic impressionist painting that it's pretty exciting to see it.


The NGA recently added Van Gogh's Green Wheat Fields, Auvers (1890) to their permanent collection and I loved being able to view the gallery it was in alone in the morning.



Two highlights of my visit were being able to see artists making reproductions throughout the museum and the da Vinci Ginevra de'Benci (1874-8). The museum has more da Vinci's than most, so it's always exciting to go to a museum with a solid collection.


Manet's The Dead Toreador, probably from 1864, is a great to look at. It's physically huge and just so cool. What I'd really like to do next is go on the ice rink in the winter, but I'll have to wait until next winter I suppose.

That's all for now,

Sarah

Here are links to my visits to the Philadelphia Museum of Art Part I from October and Part II from later that month, and Part III in November. I've also visited MoMAThe Barnes Foundation, the Rodin Museum, and the Cleveland Museum of Art. I've also shared with you all my favorite artists on A Rose in the City.

7 comments:

Peggy Gilbey McMackin said...

Remarkable works of art, and nice photos. I'll have to make a visit to the Museum over the summer. Thanks for sharing the experience.

Anna Belle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anna Belle said...

That's cool that you're a fan of art museums! I have to say that I prefer modern art galleries, but it sounds like you know a lot about older art (maybe that's the key...)

Jenny Hills said...

Such beautiful photos of the artwork. Makes me feel like I was there! I love the painting of Parliment. Art is so good for the soul. Looks like a perfect outing.

Chelsea Oliver said...

I love DC and I love going to museums so I was sitting here in awe of this post and your pictures. I took more Art History course in college than I could count too so I'm certainly seeing some familiar pieces. And at my old dance studio, we had a poster sized reproduction of The Dancer and I always thought it was so elegant, it would be nice to see the real thing in person!

-Chelsea
chelsandthecity.blogspot.com

Celyn PS said...

wow gorgeous artwork!

styleandchocolates.blogspot.com

Lauren said...

I could spend hours in an art gallery! That exhibit looks amazing!

Lauren,
http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/